READY, (THIN) SET, GO: DEVELOPING YOUR FINE MORTAR SKILLS!
Taught by Kelley Knickerbocker at Mosaic Oasis
Friday, June 12, 2015
10 am to 5 pm (1 hour for lunch)
This class is currently full - call us to be placed on the wait list - thanks.
READY, (THIN) SET, GO: DEVELOPING YOUR FINE MORTAR SKILLS
Through slideshow, demos, hands-on practice, and Q&A, students learn to:
- Use cement bonding mortar (thinset) as an adhesive and a design element
- Make and hang mortarmesh substrates
- Effectively use a small trowel to spread/guide/manage thinset,
- Work cleanly
- Use two different methods of adhering tesserae with thinset
- Tint thinset
- Texturize the surface of thinset for visual effects
- Embed and tip tesserae for sculptural and light-handling effects
- Smooth the surface of open areas of thinset
This workshop is designed to interest and challenge mosaic practitioners of all experience levels. A good
understanding of basic mosaic principles and vocabulary is helpful but not necessary.
Each student will make one mortar mesh substrate in class, In addition each student will be given one 5" x 5" finished substrate on which they will execute a little mosaic using all the thin set tips and techniques. Students will take home a finished product as well as a substrate to use later.